GameTraxx.com

Blakemore Lure & Co.

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Apr 18 @ 11: 41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Shack Chat Login Register
+  HuntinAlabama.com :: Message Board
|-+  Huntin' Alabama Style
| |-+  Food Plots
| | |-+  CORN!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CORN!  (Read 4532 times)
abbevillehunter
Global Moderator

« on: Aug 19 @ 06: 12 PM »

Well, some of the we planted back in April has gotten fully mature now. We planted two types in April--Dixie 18 and Yellow Trucker's Favorite Corn. The deer are tearing up the field where these ears came out of. Maybe only 25% of the corn that was growing is still standing... The rest has been devoured, and there are ears scattered throughout the woods all around the fields. Here's a picture of 2 of the ears of corn from different varieties we got out of the same field. The top ear in the picture is the Dixie 18 which was 9" long, and the bottom is the O.P. Trucker's Favorite which was only 6" long. It's weird how one can do so well while the other sucked. I think the drought we had this year had a lot to do with it, too.

GrayGhost
Forum Administrator

Without truckers, America would stop.

« Reply #1 on: Aug 19 @ 06: 18 PM »

That is weird

Full beards, Big racks, Live easy & Hunt Hard

Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns
Cwhunter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19 @ 06: 30 PM »

Thats some nice  lookin' corn
abbevillehunter
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19 @ 06: 38 PM »

I was hoping to leave the corn field standing and just toss oats and turnips out in it, but with the way they tore it down, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Once they finish the rest of the corn off, I'm going to turn the field and plant it probably the first week of September, rain permitting.

I still have the tropical corn fields that will be getting mature around November. All the tropical corn is doing good with the exception of one small strip where the drought finally took it's toll on it. The other spots are all up to 4 or 5' tall and growing fast. I think next year, I'm going to plant only tropical corn since they tear down all the corn we plant in April.

GrayGhost
Forum Administrator

Without truckers, America would stop.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20 @ 08: 03 AM »

Sounds like a plain to me.

Full beards, Big racks, Live easy & Hunt Hard

Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns
mtech
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20 @ 02: 34 PM »

Looks good abbeville and sounds like the deer had alot of fun in your field this year! Its gotta be the drought that made the difference in the two. Never heard of the tropical corn though. Good luck on getting a good crop out of it!
sassy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20 @ 04: 19 PM »

Good luck I hope things work out for ya. We definately need some rain.

Please visit my store and tell all your friends.
http://awhite5011.avonrepresentative.com
Thanks Sassy
abbevillehunter
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21 @ 08: 42 PM »

mtech, Tropical Corn is not widely known about, but it is an excellent choice for us to plant in Alabama. The seed we got originated in Argentina, and the majority of all the tropical corn seed is imported from there or central America. The advantage of it is that you plant it much later than the Dixie 18 or other hybrids. Plant the tropical corn in mid-June to early July when we usually get all those good summer rains. It is much more adapted to high temperatures, stress, and drought conditions than most other corn hybrids since it originates from hot climates. The biggest advantage of it is that it matures around November when you are actually hunting whereas other hybrids are usually mature by September. Almost all of our early corn we planted this year has already been eaten up. We planted a couple bags of the tropical corn this year, and it has done VERY well compared to the Dixie 18. We planted some the last week of June, and then we planted the rest the first day of July. Here's a picture I took the other day of one of the tropical corn fields that we planted in July... It is already 4' to 5' tall. Just to the right of this 1 acre strip is 2 acres of soybeans, lab lab, and Dixie 18 corn.

Some of the stalks have some curled leaves, but that is because it was over 105 degrees the day I took this picture, and the corn was protecting itself.

As I was telling someone a week or 2 ago, you can't really get it at every seed store. One place that is a sure bet to find some is Cooperseeds.com. Just get up with them around March or April and tell them to make sure they get you some because it sells quick once they get it in stock for the year. One of our local seed stores carries it too, so you might want to check with the Co-Op's and seed stores around you as well. It usually runs around $75-90 for a 60 pound bag which is maybe 10 bucks more than the other corn. I'll be sure to post some more pictures of it once it matures around November. DEFINITELY try it out... you won't be disappointed.

mtech
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22 @ 07: 55 AM »

Thanks for the info abbeville! I looked over the cooperseed site briefly and it looks like a good plce to find seeds. I will look into trying the tropical corn next year. First I gotta get me a bigger tractor. I bought one of those over size lawn tractors this year with the 3 point hitch system, it was used and only cost me 200 bucks, but having trouble getting it to plow very deep. Either I'll figure it out by the time to plant next season or I'll go another route. I've got a guy that I work with that will come plow for me this season, just dont like asking people for help. Anyway, thanks for the info. 
JJ42
Senior Hunter

YEHAW

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22 @ 04: 14 PM »

I was hoping to leave the corn field standing and just toss oats and turnips out in it, but with the way they tore it down, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Once they finish the rest of the corn off, I'm going to turn the field and plant it probably the first week of September, rain permitting.

I still have the tropical corn fields that will be getting mature around November. All the tropical corn is doing good with the exception of one small strip where the drought finally took it's toll on it. The other spots are all up to 4 or 5' tall and growing fast. I think next year, I'm going to plant only tropical corn since they tear down all the corn we plant in April.
When you plant turnips do you cover them or just throw them out ?THANKS IN ADVANCE ,I have planted them and did not get any to come up .
abbevillehunter
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24 @ 02: 48 AM »

JJ, I just saw your post. Sorry took me so long to reply. The best success I have had with the small seed is by throwing out the seed right before you know you're getting a heavy rain. A good rain will push the seed in the dirt enough for germination. Small seeds are a pain because if you try to cover them, it is so easy to get them too deep. When that happens, it will never germinate and turn into wasted money.

When I plant turnips and rape, I always plant oats with it just in case something happens to where the brassicas don't do well. Austrian Winter Peas are another good choice to add in. The deer don't really eat the rape and turnips as much until it gets cold and the leaves sweeten, but from what I've seen, they will tear up oats from October on through the rest of the year... That way you don't have to wait til December or January to see a deer in the field.

I use one of the Summit plot mules behind my Honda 500 to do all our plots. It's got a good cultipacker that runs behind the disc, but it is still easy to screw up and get the seed too deep, especially where you have to drive because the fourwheeler tires press it in too deep. If I am planting a mix of rape, turnips, and oats, I will spread the oats and cover them by dropping the plot mule disc about 1" in the dirt. Then I will walk out through the field & throw the rape and turnip seed on top and let the rain do the job of covering.

Try that out and see if it works better for you this year. I've got a feeling that September is going to have some good rain. Atleast it SHOULD since August was dry as crap...  Has anyone started planting yet?

« Last Edit: Aug 24 @ 03: 19 AM by abbevillehunter » Logged

JJ42
Senior Hunter

YEHAW

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24 @ 12: 43 PM »

I won't plant till the middle of sept. ,to hot . angry_hair:and dry .
abbevillehunter
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24 @ 08: 00 PM »

It's too hot down this way too. Right now, I'm buying up all my seed that way when I see some good rain in about 2 weeks, I can already have it ready to go.

I think next week after we get some more rain, we will be turning some of our summer plots and letting them sit until its time to plant. It's always good to let the seed bed sit there and absorb moisture and rain for a week before you plant.

huntingal

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05 @ 08: 37 PM »

you have some real nice corn. i have been wanting to get some to cook, when the guys aren't watching the food plot, I go and pick a few ears and hide them in the truck. The guys say that is the best corn I have gotten at the grocery store before. 
lovingdoe2006

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01 @ 06: 28 AM »

man that i some good corn!! i do agree
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: